Saturday, August 4, 2012

Five months

C is five months today (we'll see if I actually get this posted on the same day I start to write it).

He's pretty close to rolling over, but hasn't quite worked it out yet. He's getting to be quite "talkative," and his smiles are contagious. He likes to play with and suck on his hands, his shirt, his feet, the burp rag, or anything else he can get into his mouth. He seems to be much more orally stimulated than either of my other boys.

He spends a lot of time in the pack-n-play when he's awake, because it's too dangerous to leave him on the floor alone with Z around. Z is constantly trying to "wrestle" with him, and has even laid on him a few times *gasp* But he has somehow survived, despite my apprehensions.

He loves to be outside. He's pretty content to let just about anyone hold him right now, though I expect that will change at some point in the next few months.

I've eliminated most dairy from my diet now (yes, I miss it), and it really seems to be helping. C hasn't had a bad rash in almost a month, and he no longer screams in pain when he has a poopy diaper (a blessing and a curse, since it's not so easy to tell anymore when he needs a diaper change). He also is spitting up less than he was before, and is generally easier to get settled in at night (when the teething isn't bothering him too much). Makes me wish I had thought to try eliminating dairy when I was nursing Z; maybe he wouldn't have been so fussy and colicy all the time if I had (maybe he'd even be happier now).

So, a word of advice to any of you mothers out there dealing with colicy breastfed babies: try cutting the dairy. It might just save your sanity-- and your little one a lot of unneccessary pain. (wish I could go back in time to when I was a baby and tell this to my mom, haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment