Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Brown Stuff

I was reading a magazine about fifteen minutes ago. Z and C were playing quietly in their room, until Z called to me and said "C just spit up." C had come out to the living room at that point and I looked at him and there was brown stuff all over his face.

I looked at his feet, and there were little droplets of brown making a trail across the floor, and right outside the entrance to the boys' bedroom was a pile of regurgitated brown stuff. I grabbed some baby wipes and cleaned off his face, then started on the droplets.

My first thought was not actually poop (bet that's what you were thinking). I had been baking with chocolate chips earlier, and so my first thought had been that he had somehow gotten a mouthful of chocolate chips, though it seemed impossible since the kitchen was closed off to him (and I'm not that messy when I cook).

I made my way to the pile and realized it wasn't poop, thank goodness (yes, that had been my second thought). But I still couldn't figure out what it was.

Then I came into the bedroom and realized there were jumbo crayons strewn on the floor amid the other toys. I quickly picked up all the crayons I could see. But the brown crayon was not among them. I eventually found the brown crayon after a more thorough search, and sure enough one end had been bitten off.

C has had his four front teeth (two top, two bottom) for a while now. He just broke through one of his top incisors yesterday.

He chews on everything. Nothing is safe. It's only a matter of time, I suppose, before he tries to eat his own poop. But thankfully, today was not that day.

1 comment: