Monday, March 7, 2011

DRAMA!

Age 3 with my firstborn was a very difficult age for me. I won't go into a lot of detail, but there was a lot of will-clashing going on, among other things.

Then, he turned 4. And it was almost like magic! I don't know what happened, but he and I are getting along so much better now. It is easier for us to reason with each other, and he has finally decided to become more independent with things like using the potty, dressing himself, etc. whereas before he didn't want to try any of it on his own but insisted on help.

But the last couple of weeks, he has become so dramatic! Any little thing can set him off into a torrent of wailing and tears. I've largely had to learn to simply ignore these bouts and wait to reason with him until after it's all over. It's hard sometimes.

I have also become quite adept (I think) at telling the difference between when he is being more superficially dramatic, versus when he really is devastated about something. My husband seems to have a harder time with this, though, as he is not naturally as in tune with people's emotions and has a harder time differentiating between superficial and deep emotions.

Like a week or so ago, I proposed a "game" with G: I would put away the blocks and he would put away his cotton balls; we each would go as fast as we could, and the winner would get a hug! I figured, win-win for each of us, since really we'd be hugging each other. So anyway, he was all for this, and he "won," and I gave him a hug and he was so excited that he won (typically he doesn't really seem to care that much about winning).

Well, a few days later I proposed the same game again-- with the same toys. This time, I won. G was devastated; he cried for a half-hour inconsolably. Lesson learned-- don't let the 4-yo lose when there's a hug on the line...Well, it's amusing to me now, but I did feel bad about it at the time. I had not at all expected him to be that upset.

1 comment:

  1. Kids can be so fickle that way. It is nice when they start to be more reasonable and understanding. I've made the same mistakes with Joseph and sneaking up on him and playing "boo!". The first time I scared him genuinely, he bawled. It was the saddest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete