Thursday, February 23, 2012

38 Weeks

All right. This is the point in the pregnancy where I reeeally start getting antsy to get this baby out!

I know it's bad when I start viewing videos like this: http://youtu.be/wnEcLSHTI0s

Generally, I can't stand having anyone touch my feet...Even watching that video makes me wince. Yet I'm still tempted to try it...

Then, there are the times-- when I have my hands entirely full with the two boys I already have-- where I start to think maybe it would be best for everyone if this kid just stayed put until he's, oh, six years old...haha.

Mym ind is pretty preoccupied most of the time with thoughts about labor: Is it happening? Is it not happening? Where will it start? When? Who will I be with? What if we don't make it to the hospital? What if he's born at home? What if he's born in the car?! Because this is the way my mind works: I can't help considering every single conceivable possibility, because then I can be prepared for anything and surprised by nothing. Theoretically.

Psychologically, I believe that the mind can have a powerful influence over when and how a pregnant woman experiences labor. When I was pregnant with Z, for instance, my in-laws (who were going to take care of G for us while I was in labor) had a week-long trip to Massachusetts planned, flying out on midnight of the morning of my due date. I had a tentative backup plan should they have ended up being away when I went into labor; but I really wanted to have the baby when they were in town (and I didn't want to wait until after they got back). Well, my water broke the morning before they were to leave; they watched G at their home as they packed; when Z was finally born that evening, they brought G to the hospital, met the new baby, and G stayed the night with us at the hospital. Everything worked out perfectly. I've always wondered since then, did I somehow psych myself into going into labor when I did? And if so, maybe it'll happen that way again.

Lately, although physically I have felt ready-- and my body has given me many many signs that it's pretty much ready, too-- I have had lots of valid reasons for putting off labor. Nick and the boys had the flu; then I had the flu. My mother-in-law was out of town and just got back in late last night. Nick was very busy with tax season and it would have been a hardship on his coworkers for him to take much time off (thankfully, it looks like things are finally slowing down now). I still had a few last-minute preparations to take care of (made five freezer meals the past two weeks!).

But now, finally, I'm starting to feel more ready. Like, this weekend would be good...Really good.

Think I can make it happen? Maybe a good foot rub will help...or not...

1 comment:

  1. My mom came a week before Rae was born and she massaged my feet and hands daily. She researched pressure points too. I had contractions the whole week. When she ultimately did come, my labor progressed much faster than my other two. Coincidence? Dunno. But I'd probably do it again if I thought it'd have the same outcome. Although a week of contractions was pretty darn miserable. Best of luck. Let me know if I can help in any way. :)

    ReplyDelete