Monday, February 6, 2012

"dark side" ramblings #3

Apparently people keep asking Nick at church if we're sure I'm not carrying twins...Nope. Pretty sure I was about this big with my other babies, too. I just have big babies! And I'm small, so, they just make me poke out a lot.

On a related note, though, I already feel so big right now I can hardly believe I still have four and a half weeks 'til my due date!

I think we've finally settled on a name (yay!). And for those of us whom we told before, it's not going to be Asher. And I'm not going to share the new name here yet, just in case it changes again.

FYI: When a woman is pregnant, or just had a newborn, (or any other time, really) is not the time to ask her if/when she's going to have more kids. Seriously.

And if you do have the nerve to ask me, at the moment, I'd probably be more inclined to say "Never again," than, "Oh, yeah, I want to have about six more, acutally." Though of course the real truth of the matter probably lies somewhere between the two. But I'll take my babies one at a time, thank you.

This particularly appears to be on people's minds simply due to the fact that I am pregnant with my third BOY. Like I'm going to keep trying and trying and trying until I finally have a girl. And then I'll stop. Because obviously no family is complete unless it has at least one child of each gender; but then equally as obviously, if you do manage to have at least one of each gender now you can stop because who could ask for more?

Sure, I'd like a daughter. But I LOVE MY BOYS! I truly believe I was born to be a mama of boys. And that's A-OK with me. I will raise them to be "good catches" and look forward to meeting my future daughters-in-law.

The only problem I see with having more boys is that they're getting so hard to name!

By the way, my glasses broke. Again. This is my fourth pair in almost as many years. *sigh* They're all taped up with duct tape right now. Yes, it's the latest fashion. For the next week or so. I'm replacing them with plastic frames this time; we'll see if they hold up any better than the (apparently) flimsy wire frames I've been getting. How come Nick's glasses never get broken? Oh yeah, because he's not home with two (soon to be three) rowdy BOYS all day every day (Did I say I was okay with having all boys? Oh...).

Speaking of my boys, they sure do eat a lot! Nick occasionally will ask me where all our "extra" income goes each month, and why I keep having to dip into our savings...I forget he's not home all day to hear the incessant "I'm hungry!" And by golly, I'm hungry, too! I've got another boy curled up inside me apparently telling me the same thing as his older brothers.

Thank goodness for tax season and tax returns. Though I hear the latter is going to be greatly diminished over the next couple years...

Speaking of tax season, right now being a peak time at H&R Block, Nick has been working overtime this last week. Which means time-and-a-half (yay!). But it also means he doesn't get to be home much. It's to the point now where if the boys are up in the morning before he leaves for work, they (especially the toddler) will do everything in their power to get him to stay "just a little longer," or even not go to work at all (sorry kiddos, not happening). Just the other morning, Z sat on Daddy's lap and said to him, "You shouldn't go to work. You should stay home." (Did I mention this kid is only two-and-a-half years old? His verbal skills astound me sometimes.) All day yesterday (Sunday), whenever there was help needed, or attention wanted, Z insisted on Daddy doing it.

Z has recently discovered how to scream. And I mean scream. Before it was just wailing and thrashing we had to deal with. But now, every so often, we are lucky enough to be serenaded with an ear-splitting, hair-raising song to the heavens.

G is an emotional mess lately. It started a few months ago, but has been getting increasingly worse. We are doing our best to help him understand his newfound overwhelming emotions and learn to deal with life more rationally. Generally, he's such a sweet, amicable, intelligent boy; but when those strong emotions take over, it's really tough! For all of us, but especially for him. It's hard to be rational all the time-- even for adults! So I really do sympathize with his plight.

G has also started taking his role as "oldest brother" very seriously lol. He reminds me of the stories my mom used to tell of me as a little girl, thirteen whole months older than my younger (twin) brothers. He has decided to take on the role of "enforcer," not only at home but everywhere we go it seems. If there is a child being disciplined, he wants to "help." And he is all too eager to remind other kids (and sometimes even adults) of the rules, even when he may be forgetting to follow them himself. Just yesterday, we were over at the in-laws' for a little while and my niece and nephew were also there. At one point, my mother-in-law put my niece in a time-out and told her to stay there; G witnessed this, but then eventually went back to the playroom (after we told him to stop trying to help Nana lecture his cousin); when my niece was let out of time-out and went back to play, G said to her, "Did Nana say you could be in here?"

Okay, I'm finally starting to feel sleepy again. I'm going back to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment