Friday, April 22, 2011

This year's garden

Yesterday, I sowed the first seeds for this year's garden. It may be too early, and they may not make it (it's still been cold on-and-off up here), but then again, they might be just fine and then I'll have a head start on my garden.

I tried having a garden last year, out in front of our condo, and the only things that really did well were the sunflowers and the lettuce. This year, I'm using one of the garden boxes at my in-laws', and expect to see better results.

When I first started looking into gardening two summers ago, I did A LOT of research. I read all about each kind of crop I was interested in planting, about ways to keep away pests, about companion planting, crop rotation, and so forth. I drew up diagrams of my future garden, making the most of every sqaure inch of space. I was careful, methodical. At least, that's how I was on paper.

I continue to read and attend gardening classes to learn more about the best ways to garden. But alas, when it comes time to actually sow the seeds, my approach to gardening is much like my approach to pretty much everything else I do: haphazard, improvising as I go. Just pop the seeds into the ground and see what happens...

So, what am I attempting to grow in my garden this year?

broccoli
carrots
parsnips
lettuce
spinach
bush beans
beets
cucumbers
pumpkin
yellow squash
tomatoes
sugar snap peas
strawberries

Like I said, we'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment